Criminal Division

You may visit the Criminal Division during the office hours of 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., Monday through Friday and from 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., Saturday. The Criminal Division is located in Barberton Municipal Building, on the second floor, Room 205. The phone number is (330) 861-7188. View our Holiday Schedule HERE.

Common Questions

What must I do when I come to the court as specified by my citation, assignment notice, letter, or bond recognizance form?

Report to the Clerk's office for directions to the courtroom in which your hearing will be held, report to the courtroom and sign in. 

When appearing at the Clerk's office, how should I identify myself?

  • DO NOT use a nickname or alias
  • Use the same spelling as listed on your paperwork
  • If the name or address is incorrect, ADVISE the court so it may be corrected

What must I bring to court?

You must bring any relevant paperwork having to do with your case, such as: 

  • Copy of citation
  • Any written communication from the Court
  • Bond papers and receipt
  • Documents of proof for compliance of judicial order or sentence
  • Adequate funds to pay fines and costs

How long should I plan to be in court?

It will depend on the number of cases scheduled for that day. There is a sign-in sheet stationed outside the courtroom. Each Defendant is to sign-in and will be called before the Judge in the order the names appear on the sign-in sheet. 

What are the different possible hearings?

  • Arraignment - Reading of your rights, reading of the charges, entering a plea.
  • Pretrial Hearing - A conference between parties (Prosecutor and Defendant or attorney for the Defendant) regarding the issues of the case.
  • Trial - The examination of the evidence and the decisions of the issues of law by a judge or jury to determine guilt or innocence.
  • Status Hearing - Any hearing after sentencing that would require a modification, review or change in the Court's Order

Do I need to have an attorney represent me?

You may have an attorney represent you at trial, if you wish, but you are not required to have one. 

Can I bring in statements from witnesses to present to the Court?

The Court will not consider affidavits or other written statements in lieu of a witness' appearance at trial. If you want the Court to hear from a witness, they must be present. 

How do I get a witness to come to court?

If you want a witness to come to court, and they refuse to come voluntarily, several days prior to trial you must ask the Court to issue a subpoena compelling appearance. 

Can I ask the City for certain information that I will need for trial?

If you think that the City of Barberton has certain information in its possession that you will need to use at trial, you must make a discovery request for that information under Rule 16 of the Criminal Rules of Procedure, prior to trial. 

What if I cannot come to court on the day scheduled for trial?

If you cannot appear on the day scheduled for trial you must file a Motion for Continuance at least three (3) working days in advance of the trial date. However, you must appear for trial on the day scheduled if the court does not notify you that it has granted your request. 

Bond Schedule for Criminal Offenses

Criminal Offense
Face Amount of Bond
Amount Paid Under 10%
First Degree Misdemeanor
Second Degree Misdemeanor
Third Degree Misdemeanor
Fourth Degree Misdemeanor
Minor Misdemeanor
All Other Misdemeanors - other than traffic


  1. Bond shall only be taken on the charge for which the Defendant is arrested.
  2. On all felony charges the judge will set the bond.
  3. Domestic Violence - If Defendant is arrested, the bond will be set by the Judge.